Friday, April 20, 2012

Art Splash 2008

In the fall of 2008 my High School Art 2 class was invited to participate in a weekend art festival. The event is called Carlsbad Art Splash and features professional artists with the highlight of the event being sidewalk murals. In the Spring of 2008 I hired local artist Bland Bizzaro to come teach my art students how to create sidewalk murals. Blane was so impressed with my students artwork (seen here) that he submitted photos of their sidewalk murals to the Art Splash and we were invited to participate in this highly publicized art festival.

This was a challenging task for me to prepare my students for. I was teaching at a new school and these students had never created a sidewalk mural before and the event was only 3 weeks into the school year. But my class did a great job working together to design their own mural. We planned it out and made a rough draft sketch and practiced at school before the big event. The Art Splash was a 2 day art festival and the students had such a fun time creating their mural along side professional artists. They worked through the hot sun for 6 hours a day without complaining! Many artists complimented our group on their fantastic behavior and group work. The final mural was excellent and this was such a rewarding experience for my students to have!












**As with any art project I post please email me if you have questions about materials used, processes, or if you would like lesson plans. splattersandsmudges@gmail.com You can also ask questions in the comment section below each post.**

No comments:

Post a Comment